I tried to keep up— it’s hard to encapsulate an entire 12 hours of thrill and olympic stories every night on a blog, even harder to try and sum it up after the conclusion. But you know I will always try!
So I have pulled together some of my favourite or note-worthy moments…so read, enjoy, and remember all the fun we had in the past 2 weeks!
- Police close Yonge, Canada’s biggest street, for an impromptu ball hockey tourney after gold medal win!
- The Bobsled ladies cute dance on the podium and the short track speedskaters Cobra pose
- The Bilodeau Brother…Canada’s favourite fan!
- Jon Montgomery walking the streets of Whistler, and showing off his day-job skill- auctioning off a ‘golden pitcher of beer’
- Was there a more expressive win than Scott Virtue after their short program…? Who says we are mild mannered people…!
- After winning the GOLD in mens hockey, the ‘boys’ carried around Canada’s largest flag-on-a-stick. Better than a Stanley Cup.
- Clara Hughes has a conniption…after her team mate Kristina Groves wins Bronze!
- Best piece of Olympic Footage all 17 days…Marianne St Gelais watching her boyfriend win gold in Short Track. If you haven’t seen it…find it….it’s more thrilling than the race.
- Clara Hughes gets her 6th Olympic medal…immediately donates all her winnings to Right to Play…class act.
Displays of Canadiana:
- Impromptu anthem sing- alongs… at curling matches.
- People voluntarily wearing flashing antlers at closing ceremonies
- Those HBC outfits…just, wow. Talk about free product promotion…everyone and their dog had a Canada hat, sweater or puffy vest.
- The fog horn that went off in Whistler Village every time Canada stuck gold!
- Prime minister Harper played Polka-roo for 2 weeks…popping up everywhere! (While Obama was delivering a healthcare speech…he was at a hockey game, we’ve got healthcare taken care of in this country…)
- The guy down the street from me with a light display of Olympic rings, and the medal count…seriously, Russians may have been to the moon, and dance some pretty fine ballet…but will they do THAT?!
- The most famous people in our country…no longer the celebs in the crowd, but the ones flinging themselves down chutes of ice… or rockstar curlers.
- The Raging Beaver helmet of Jeff Pain, skeleton.
- The over 200 variations on the Believe song…It will take me another 4 years to get that earworm out of my head.
- Norwegian pants…taking peoples mind off of the “Pants on the Ground” obsession.
- Even Oprah had a hard time finding a pair of Red HBC mittens…I got mine for Christmas.
- Best celebs of the games: Marianne St Gelais, Hot- Curler Cheryl Bernard, The PM, Jon Montgomery, Most eligible bachelor Jon Morris (curler), Alex Bilodeau’s bro, Captain Sid
- Anyone else think Russia looks…boring? Bring on more flying moose and beavers!
- Movie cinema’s showing the Olympics on the big screen…awesome!
- 18,000 or more people crammed into every and any hockey game…like Latvia vs Slovakia…with no actual Latvians or Slovakians in the crowd!
- Best Romances: Marianne St Gelais/Charles Hamelin, Joannie Rochette/ FL Tremblay, Ashleigh McIvor/Chris Del Bosco, Christine Nesbitt/Netherlands speedskater, Jenn Heil/Her Coach and former Olympian Dominick Gauthier (also Bilodeaus coach)
- The Legendary Donald Sutherland talks ‘hockey’ with ex PM’s son, Ben Mulroney. Sounds like a non-sequitor, until Mark Messier and Steve Yzerman joined them. Strange…and only in this country.
- Every morning, CTV tried to fill 4-5 hours of Olympic-themed coverage…waiting for events to start Eastern Time. It became painful, they started interviewing Cab drivers, anyone who was wandering the streets at 4am Pacific time, researching the science of Beaver tails and Poutine, an throwing it to the weatherman every other segment.
- If only once every four years, we get to hear the cutest french accents from Quebecer athletes…I love our country! Try not to smile when the speedskaters say things like “we win as team, we love our team, we are best in the world…merci”
- Starts off with a joke about the Opening ceremonies, a great display of our ability to laugh in spite of ourselves…while the world laughs at us usually.
- Why in the heck is everyone wearing flashing Reindeer hats? It doesn’t go with the Americans Ralph Lauren…ha, joke’s on them!
- I’ve never wanted to shoot myself more than sitting through the IOC and VANOC speeches, and the Russian and Oympic anthems (taking the liberty to sing ALL the verses!)
- We need excitement, we need passion, we need to get the party started…enter Neil Young to save the day!!!!
- Followed by a few Canadian Rants from Campy Canadians and one who hasn’t lived here in 30 years: Bill Shatner, Catherine O Hara (looks fantastic!) and Michael J Fox (he’s right, we CLAIM him…no matter where he lives!)
- The best moment of the evening: Michael Buble in a Mounty outfit singing Maple Leaf forever.
- Oh, but it’s not over…off comes the mounty outfit, in comes the Busby Berkley showgirls, flying moose, blown up beavers, flying cirque-leaves and a giant game of table hockey… the Canadian revue! Amazing, I have never laughed so hard and been so full of Canadian pride for all our stereotypes…we know how to embrace it!
- A bunch of random performances: Nickleback (sigh…can we un-claim them?), Simple Plan (them too?), Avril Lavigne (she can be set free also…), K-OS and Alanis Morrisette.
- A great show, a real party…and those antlers became a sea of glittering lights for the Buble Vegas-in-Vancouver show!
And I will now leave you with some images of the nation-wide, post-olympics euphoria!